The resource-efficient business research group of Turku University of Applied Sciences offers possibilities for collaboration with companies for students from various fields. Instead of lectures we want to offer interesting and practical ways for a student to become a responsible and self-imposed expert in his/her own field.
- Would you like to become an expert in circular economy? Are you interested in possibilities offered by our cooperation companies? Are you in the need of an internship or perhaps a job?
- Would you be interested working with real assignments coming from real companies? Could you innovate in a camp environment overnight? Turku University of Applied Sciences has been arranging innovation camps such as InnoCamp and Challenge Goes Green. Taking part in these might interest you!
- Want to do research and work together with other students in the summer or during the school year? Read experiences from students and join our research hatcheries.
In case you would be interested to join us or you have any questions, please contact us.
Courses and study modules
Students can do many kinds of studies in the team’s project learning environment, projects and courses. Students gain credits, knowhow and business contacts. All together the team generates appr. 3000 credits a year.
We offer the following modules:
- Smart sustainable cities 10 credits in English (blended learning) offered next time spring 2019 and as an intensive course 6 ects in summer 2018
- Waste management 15 credits in English (100% eLearning) offered next time in autumn 2019
- Circular economy 3 credits, masters level studies, in Finnish (blended learning) offered in spring 2018 and as in every spring
- Circular economy 5 credits (100% eLearning) offered next time in summer 2018
- Entrepreneurship and sustainable business 5 credits (blended learning) offered in autumn 2018 and every autumn
- Corporate Social Responsibility 5 credits in English (blended learning), next time unclear
- Circular economy 15 credits in Finnish (blended learning) offered next time in autumn 2018
All of the courses are offered via the Open university also
Waste management, 15 ectsCode (SoleOPS): 5131103Goals: After the study unit students: Understand the principles of waste management and waste legislation Understand the principals of waste hierarchy......
Smart Sustainable Cities, 10 ectsCode (SoleOPS): 5131109The main topic in the course is Smart Sustainable Cities and its three main dimensions (enivironment, business and social). The course......
Turku University of Applied Sciences is offering a brand new Waste Management Module for the spring 2016. ...
Moi! My name is Sandra and I come from Barcelona, Spain. I am a student of Mechatronics Engineering and I am currently doing my semester abroad in TUAS.I will explain you my experience in TUAS as well......
It’s busy at the Sepänkatu campus of the Turku University of Applied Sciences. Students from British, German and Dutch universities as well as the Turku and Satakunta universities of applied......
In the beginning of September, I started my exchange period at TUAS. Soon I recognized that the teaching in TUAS is completely different than in my home university. In general, much more group as well......
Materials and links related to circular economy
From Ellen MacArthur: http://www.ellenmacarthurfoundation.org/books-and-reports
Peter Lacy, Jakob Rutqvist: Waste to Wealth – the Circular Economy Advantage (2015). Accenture-edustajien bisneslähtöistä tarkastelua. http://www.palgrave.com/page/detail/waste-to-wealth-/?isb=9781137530684
Catherine Alexander, Joshua Reno: Economies of Recycling: The Global transformation of materials, values and social relations (2012). Kierrätystarkastelua tutkijaotteella. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Economies-Recycling-transformation-materials-relations/dp/1780321945/ref=sr_1_13?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433323063&sr=1-13&keywords=closed+loop+recycling
Dustin Benton, Jonny Hazell, Julie Hill: The Guide to the Circular Economy (2015) http://www.bokus.com/bok/9781910174357/the-guide-to-the-circular-economy/
Alex Stephany: The Business of Sharing: Making it in the New Sharing Economy (2015). Puhetta lainapalveluista. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Business-Sharing-Making-New-Economy/dp/1137376171/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1433323959&sr=1-8&keywords=circular+economy
Van Wijk, A.J.M., Van Wijk, I.: 3D Printing with Biomaterials – Towards a Sustainable and Circular Economy (2015) http://www.iospress.nl/book/3d-printing-with-biomaterials/
Circular Economy, is it enough? https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301779162_Circular_Economy_Is_it_Enough
The possibilities in Circular Economy: http://www.ieep.eu/assets/1410/Circular_economy_scoping_study_-_Final_report.pdf
Defining CE beyond recycling material reuse (article): http://www.greenbiz.com/article/defining-circular-economy-beyond-recycling-material-reuse
Options for Achieving a 50% Cut in Industrial Carbon Emissions by 2050 (emphasizes the durability of materials and extending the life-cycle): http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/es902909k
Other useful materials:
Investigating the role of design in the circular economy https://www.thersa.org/globalassets/images/projects/rsa-the-great-recovery-report_131028.pdf
Book “The Age of Sustainable Development”, https://www.amazon.com/Age-Sustainable-Development-Jeffrey-Sachs/dp/1515960870
http://www.amazon.com/Materials-Sustainable-Development-Michael-Ashby/dp/0081001762/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1441107324&sr=1-6&keywords=sustainable+waste+industrial. Chapter 14 “The Vision: A Circular Materials Economy”
Sustainable City Planning: http://www.amazon.com/Sustainable-Urbanism-Beyond-Rethinking-Cities/dp/0847838366.
Moving towards a circular economy – successful Nordic business models: http://norden.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:852029/FULLTEXT01.pdf
Chemical leasing: http://www.unido.org/chemical-leasing.html